Sunday, September 15, 2013

Dear People Getting Caught Kissing in Movies and Television

I am getting really sick of this scenario.  Two characters on whatever show or movie I am watching shouldn't be kissing/sleeping with each other, but inevitably they do.  Worse yet, they get caught in some wacky situation that only makes it LOOK like they are doing something wrong, but actually aren't.  Inevitably, another character will come in at that exact moment, and the drama begins. 

This trope needs to be put to rest.  It is boring, predicable, and completely unbelievable.  Seriously, think hard about the last time you did something you really shouldn't have been doing.  Kissed a coworker at the office party?  Tripped and fell on the babysitter then struggled to get up while yelling "Oh God!"?  Accidentally fondled the UPS guy?  Chances are, I'm not the only one who has done any of these or all of these in the past month.  Thing is, I was never caught.  Most people that do bad things don't get caught.  That's why Detriot isn't one giant prison island run by the chemically fabricated love child of Nick Nolte and Gary Busey.

I may not have the best track record with keeping relationships, but I think I could probably listen to whatever explanation my partner had, and hopefully trust them enough to consider the circumstances.  Hollywood and tv writers try to make up get invested in these relationships,but they they throw these little cutesy "whoops" things out so they have hours and hours of tearful fighting and discussion to follow, because that is the lazy way to create drama.  This is "Saved By The Bell" level plot laziness.  Do you understand what I just said?  They used to have Screech, a 90 pound frizzy haired nerd that had about as much femininity as Rosie O'Donnell, dress in drag to trick the girls on that show.  It worked.  That is the level of writing you are all aspiring to. 

The whole thing got out of hand for me during a recent Netflix binge of the show Parenthood.  Sometime in the first season, I thought I saw this coming from a mile away.  The weird guy on the show that looks like Zach Braff but with even less of a chin, if that is possible, has a girlfriend.  Then he finds out he had a kid with an old girlfriend, because they both show up at his houseboat.  He gets confused, because he didn't know he had a son, and he just got engaged, and presumably he is in the works trying to get a show about Zach Braff and himself living on a houseboat and solving mysteries, so this couldn't have come at a worse time.  Anyway, his ex and he get frisky, and I just knew that his girlfriend was going to walk in, because the actress that plays her was in The Mighty Ducks, and the Ducks never lose or something along those lines.  But then, she didn't come in.  He got away with it, and for the next two seasons, the writers kept doing this.  You thought someone would get caught, but it didn't happen and the situation resolved itself without high school drama.  It was glorious.  Then, as it kept happening, it got tedious.  Having the exact opposite of it was almost as bad as having the thing I hate.  By not doing it, they seemed to be patting themselves on the back.  I had to grudgingly watch two more seasons of it.

I think my whole point is, that this kind of stuff never happened in The Mighty Ducks, so I am just going to keep watching that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. I appreciate them even more if you sign in or let me know who you are. Otherwise I get paranoid trying to figure out who you are, and that ends up with me having to watch The Sandlot to calm myself down.